Saturday, September 17, 2016

Repeatedly Repentant

For anyone who lived in the greater Boston area back in the 90's, do you remember when Kiss 108 would have a special segment late at night where a new song would be added to the station's programming?  One night, it may be the version of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" that had clips from the movie interjected into the song.  Another night, it may be US debut single from All Saints.  I remember when I first heard a song by Rebekah.  I didn't know who Rebekah was.  If it was one person, or a band named "Rebekah."  I just knew that "Sin So Well" was such a catchy song, but it wasn't popular enough to stay on the charts that long.

I couldn't figure out how to hear that song again, or learn about this artist who now performs as Rebecca Jordan.  In college, I would eventually find "Sin So Well" on YouTube.  Listening to it now, (18 years later) it's still great.  But I'm a little surprised to realize Meredith Brooks got more hate for having a song we she explains how she can be a "bitch" (similar to when in 1976, radio stations were standing against a certain Elton John song).  The truth is, that "Bitch" may have been cleaner than "Sin So Well" and a handful of other songs on the air.  And... Well... Brooks had some better songs on her Blurring the Edges album.

Now, before I tell you before I get into the lyrics, it may just be naive of me to not perceive this song at face value, and not a suggestion of a common sexual fetish.  The song is about a Catholic (there's mention of rosaries) who is spiritual, and trying to be a good catholic, but "sins so well."  She believes that it's wrong to give in to sexual urges until marriage, but finds it hard to get past the temptation.  I'm not sure how often she "sins so well," so I can't definitely say she's a sex addict or not.  I also can't completely discern the age, since I could see a mother worrying about such things regardless of their daughter's (or son's) age.  The thing is that the Rebecca's character acknowledges that what she continually gives into is wrong, and asks other to pray for her chastity.  It just sounds like an addict's fighting back the urge to relapse.  Then again, this could just be the cliche "horny Catholic school girl" trope, an ideal reciprocating person for Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young."

With all that analysis aside, I still find "Sin So Well" to be a very catchy but underrepresented song.

"Sin So Well" was the one big single from Rebecca Jordan's first album (1998's Remember to Breathe).  For one reason or another, Rebecca didn't release another album until 2005.  In that time, she did start building a reputation a as a talented collaborator, and co-wrote "Beautiful Disaster" for Kelly Clarkson.  In this modern age where artists can more easily have their own independent labels, Rebecca's released 4 more albums, and continues to collaborate on songs for others too.

So, take this as inspiration.  Not just for finding Rebecca's music, but also searching for the musicians who had passed quickly through your teen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment