Friday, September 23, 2016

Holding Out from the World


Tonight, I'm writing about another of Colin Hay's songs.  This is from 2001's Going Somewhere album.  The song is something that I first heard on the sitcom Scrubs and became a fixture in my lifestyle as I listened to more of Hay's music.  The song is called "Waiting for My Real Life to Begin."


The song is about two people discussing the present and the future.  While Hay's character is driven (which can be good thing) that he isn't as cognizant of who and what's around him.  He has these dreams of heroism and great deeds that he views as a real life that just hasn't begun yet.  In the other hand, a woman who loves him is pleading for him to live in the present and "let the light shine in."

I'm not sure if Colin Hay had someone his age in mind when writing the lyrics, so I'm not sure how long the person has been waiting for this "real life" to begin.  He's reached a point where excuses must be made to justify still holding out on this goal.  The times are lean.  In a direct metaphor to gambling, the man asks for a chance to throw the dice once more.    The only line that I don't completely understand (although it's beautifully written) is when he talks about standing on the bow as the waves crash along his feet.  I didn't see how he could be on the shores waiting for the ship (so to speak), while also being about said ship.

After spending my 20's treating personal relationships as a lesser priority to attempting a freelance art career, I can completely identify with this song.  I still haven't completely given up on my dream, but taking advice from Hay's lyrics, I'm trying to balance professional and personal goals for the long-term and short-term. While keeping an eye out to the horizon, I'm starting to explore the shoreline, and the opportunities also available.

No comments:

Post a Comment