Saturday, August 13, 2016

Like a Prayer


I find a spiritual connection in many songs, whether they're about religion, life, relationships, or other
subjects.  They allow an artist's spirit to reach forward through time, and touch people not yet necessarily born when the song was first recorded.  Some songs come from places that I can relate to.  Some songs are inspiring pieces about great relationships.  Some songs tell about struggles and teach the listener to try learning from the mistakes.  For me, there's even a cover artist that I feel a spiritual connection to although she passed away 20 years ago.  I'll be talking about her in a few months, but today, the subject is the title track from Jackson Browne's 1976 album The Pretender.

I have a feeling that some of you were expecting a blog post about a Madonna song (in good time).  I also hope that this isn't mistaken for sacrilege that when reciting Browne's lyrics, I see it personally as a prayer.  For many years, I've been trying to make a living off my more traditional illustration skills.  Slowly, I've been realizing that I also have some talents in writing blogs and creating online video content.  I have other interests that more closely relate to lucrative industries, and modern society may lead me to explore those as a day job, but I hope that I'll still be able to create art in my off time and reach others with what I've crafted.

That's why I'm writing about this Jackson Browne song.  It was written in the mid-70's, before the creation of the personal computer, before WiFi, and before smart phone apps.  Regardless, Browne could see that society wasn't providing much space for people to pursue their dreams.  The lead character has put his dreams aside to work in what seems to be a mundane profession, living in the shade of a freeway, and each day would basically go through the same boring routine.  The zeal for life seems drained, and the "pretender" just tries to reach the ideal life.  Browne asks his listeners to say a prayer for this pretender and all the pretenders of the world.  In the final verse he expresses hope for the future, to build a home, and to find a compatible mate who can show ways to enjoy life.

Personally, I believe in a God (the same divine figure that may be worshipped by other names or refracted into polytheistic deities).  I think that, when someone hears this song, or sings this song...  the divine is listening.  That is pretty much the purpose of all prayers (even if just spoken within our minds).  I hope that whatever life has in store for me, I'll be following my passions, and not become a pretender.  I hope the same for you.






....

This is the first post for my "Folk, Jangle, Dream, and More" blog.  My musical tastes sometimes include artists that are more popular here (in the US), but often not so much.  My Pandora stations have been a great way to find musicians I don't hear on local radio stations.  One "discovery" leads to another, and I start noticing a tangled little web of genres.  Many of these musicians are more well known overseas, or haven't had big singles for many years.  In the case of some musicians, it's just that they have the smaller (while still passionate) followings.

With this blog, I'm going to try writing about whatever songs come my way.  I sincerely hope that you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment