Saturday, August 27, 2016

Lenka's Bubbly Song About Emotional Support


Coming from a dream pop background, Lenka's this Aussie musician who's gained a reputation for layered music that brings a bubbly zip to her songs however serious the lyrics may get.  It's a unique angle and enjoyable to listen to even when considering the meaning.  The song I'm writing about tonight is from her second album (appropriately title Two).

"Everything's Okay" is about having someone (a friend, a lover, etc.) to help you get out of a depression.  There's some acknowledgement that even if the root of your troubles is your own doing, your friend is there.  It's the same the other way around, with you being there for them when they're in need of it.  It's about inspiring hope when (as Lenka puts it) "shadow's took the light."

Having only listened to her through Pandora and YouTube, I looked up some of Lenka's live performances.  Much like many other acts that I enjoy (but not all), the environment tended to be that of intimate little venues.  She's on stage with her guitarist and sometimes other musicians.  She's so personable in her connection with the audience, and encourages handclaps and people joining in.  I was picking up on this as was listening to her music.  Her songs are just so catchy that as I was working on a KenKen puzzle, I found myself dancing a little at my desk, and quietly singing along.

A Lenka show seems like such a great experience.  I see that she's got no shows coming up right now (August, 2016), but I'd love to catch one of her concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment