Wednesday, August 17, 2016

He was a Little Bit Country. She was a Little Bit ... Christian Pop.


Tonight, I'm talking about the first song I heard from the Civil Wars.  For me interest in these two
individuals came when Pandora led me to a song called "I've Got This Friend" from their Barton Hollow album.  John Paul White and Joy Williams came from two different genres.  White was a Tennessee musician who played country and folk.  Williams was a Californian known for her uplifting Christian pop music.  You may or may not have heard her 2005 single "Hide."  They came together as this duo that had folk, country, rock, pop, and the occasional Christian elements.  The chemistry that they shared (check out their performances on YouTube) was extraordinary.  ...  Perhaps to a fault.  By 2014, a hiatus became an official breakup, and now they are back to solo work (I follow both of them on social media).  The albums are very enjoyable, and every here and there is a cover.  The Civil Wars' versions of the Smashing Pumpkins' "Disarm" or Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" are some examples.

The song I'm writing about is a sappy rom-com of a love song.  You know how when you're nervously asking for advice or finding away to express your thoughts, you may start with the "I've got this friend..."?  The song is this back & forth of the singers talking about these friends that they have, the two friends seeming so compatible, but they haven't met.  As White would talk about his friend, Joy would say how nice that man sounded, and then vice versa.  With each refrain they ask what if the right one had come along for these friends.

As a single romantic, I observe this, imagining that somewhere there's a compatible someone (perhaps we've passed each other like the proverbial "ships in the night."  It's for similar reasons that I love How I Met Your Mother.  I tend to get nervous about asking someone out, or admitting attraction to a friend.  The "I've got this friend..." approach is all too familiar, and it seems so wonderfully surreal for the person hearing this description to reciprocate in kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment